Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Well-Fed Friday (Kicking #FF up a notch)


728 words in this post brings me to 968 words.  Time for yoga!

What's a typical Friday like for you?  Antsy anticipation until you get to shut down the computer and start the weekend?  A little nagging pit of your to-do list in your stomach trying to call attention to what remains unfinished for the week?

First, a bit of personal backstory.  Then, what I'm doing different and why it matters more in the long run.

When I had a traditional desk job in a big company, Friday was my catch up day.  While most people raced through the day to be able to leave early, I locked myself in my office and stayed late, taking advantage of the quiet period in the afternoon when the phone stopped ringing, emails slowed to a trickle, and people stopped visiting my office. In that one day, I believed I would kick ass and make the harried rest of the week worthwhile.

I hit the easy items first, the ones that needed little nudges to keep them moving.  I sent reminders, left voice mail, scheduled meetings.  My burst in uninterrupted productivity meant my coworkers would start the next week even further behind.  Sure, I would suffer the consequences, but I reveled in my momentary feeling of accomplishment.

By lunch time,  I was tackling back burner projects.  It took time to equilibrate with each one, to figure out where I was and what action I planned to take.  I realized I forgot to follow up or I didn't hand off when I needed to.  At this point my day began to derail.  I had kept too much in my court and had become the bottleneck.  I was so far behind!  Anxiety and hopelessness infiltrated my early afternoon.

Then, without fail, the phone would ring around 2:30 pm.  It was the Friday Afternoon Crisis, the thing that would occupy the next several hours because someone needed a miracle delivered.  Desperate customers who need a product delivered Saturday, requiring time to expand and geography to shrink.  Senior managers needing urgent analysis for a presentation next week that they found out about two weeks ago.  Taking charge because no one knows what else to do and Coworker A is on vacation and Coworker B already left for the day and stopped answering his phone.

Miracle delivered or crisis postponed, the presence of my coworkers evaporated by 5:00 pm.  The cleaning crew and I had the building to ourselves.  The stacks of paper on my desk were useless now, the day was too far gone.  I filed it all away again, leaving a trail of sticky notes like bread crumbs for the following Friday.  My desk cleaned, I turned back to my computer for a few last emails.  6:30 pm.  7:00 pm.  7:30 pm.  Sometimes 8:00 pm.  My car was the last one in the parking lot as I headed into a weekend defeated and sapped of motivation.

The only ass that got kicked on those Fridays was mine.

Cut to the present.  I have noticed that even in a state of non-traditional employment, my expectations are not different.  I still look to Friday to deliver miracles I couldn't put together during the week.  My feelings of defeat have not changed because although my venue has changed, my behavior has not.

Last Friday, I decided I'm done with that old and busted behavior.  The new hotness is what I call Well-Fed Fridays.  There are logistics issues with inviting you all over and cooking you big meals to show appreciation.  So instead, I give you my attention on Well-Fed Friday. I'm giving my Fridays over to appreciating the contributions of others and making sure I tell them about it. Examples:

  • Writing recommendations for people on LinkedIn
  • Contributing to discussions on LinkedIn  
  • Commenting on blogs & sharing them with other people
  • Sending meaningful direct messages on Twitter
  • Picking some Twitter followers and looking at their tweets, their blog if they have one, finding out what they are all about 
Last week I tried it out a little.  Feelings of defeat and depleted motivation were replaced with warmth and connectedness.   Can't wait to find out what a full day of this feels like!

-Andrea

No comments: