Friday, May 14, 2010

Flipping the diet segment

Standing in line for lunch today I saw a row of recently launched drinks sitting on the order counter.  All of them had the word "diet" in the name.

We've come to understand the "diet" description as another word for giving something up, for going without in the name of a longer-term result.  It gets me thinking about market segmentation.

If I owned a soft drink company, I would have two broad segments of offerings, except I would go about naming them a different way.  The healthier options - those with less or no sugar, no artificial flavorings - would just be the regular deal.  I wouldn't call it "diet" drink A or "healthy choice" drink A.  It would be my default offering, the one you would get if you didn't specify any qualifying characteristic.  The other segment would be the one I would call out with a different name.  Maybe "diabetes express" drink A or "High-Carb" drink A.  Don't think that would work?  Is it unprofitable to alienate the population of consumers that haven't yet jumped on the health conscious bandwagon?

Maybe that's why I don't own a soft drink company.

-Andrea

No comments: