Thursday, June 17, 2010

Do I use the knife or the fork?

  

I write for different purposes and therein lies the intersection where I find myself staring at light that is not yet green.

Sweeping Up The Moments is where I capture insights and moments that might otherwise slip by quietly.  In my very first post I set out the four things I want to achieve in my life:
  1. To have loved well
  2. To have been loved well
  3. To have lived a meaningful and intentional life
  4. To have never stopped learning
I am also embarking on a new professional adventure, an adventure I am designing for myself, taking a big step away from traditional corporate culture and developing a management consulting practice that looks and feels different from the mainstream consulting industry.  Writing is involved here, too.  It is a fundamental part of connecting, evaluating and shaping the work I want to do. Articles I write in this adventure are meant to evoke reflection, to ask questions.  There are white papers and e-books and so much more in the future for this adventure.

Up to now, I dipped my toes a little into each pool and tried to mix them together. There are dozens of draft posts behind the scenes of a more focused, business-related nature that I've been reluctant to post here because, frankly, this is not where the intended audience visits.  There are dozens of other draft posts that go much deeper in the content I've started here that I've also hesitated to post, concerned about the overall balance should I choose to keep it all in one place.  I've found successful examples where other people have successfully merged business and personal into what they offer.  There are also success stories of people who separate these elements.  

I don't think a split can ever be completely distinct and I want my personality and "humanness" to come through no matter where I write.  I also think that one box dilutes the purpose and effectiveness of both efforts.

Ultimately, I know I can decide what will work best for me and run with it.  I can go with the fork, picking it all up at the same time.  Or I can go with the knife, performing surgery and creating two pieces where one existed before.  

Or maybe there's an option I haven't even thought of yet.

-Andrea



No comments: