Thursday, March 4, 2010

Managing I/O: Reading/writing & listening/talking

I was doing some thinking yesterday while I was in the shower about reading and writing.  I was thinking about how critical reading is to my writing.  Specifically, active reading.  You know how your eyes can process a page of text without it really registering?  It went in one eye and out the other so fast that you can't remember the point, much less the way in which it was conveyed.


I was reminded of my soapy thoughts this afternoon when I found Indexed, a fantastic blog by Jessica Hagy.  Her most recent post was a freaky co-inky-dink:


http://thisisindexed.com/2010/03/made-not-born/


This is where my thoughtful meandering started.  And then I had my little epiphany in the shower: The better I listen, actively listen, the better I speak.  I really need to keep this in mind for the next time that I catch myself being a horrible listener.  For example, patiently but disinterestedly waiting for the other person to finish talking so I can go back to whatever I was doing.  Or when I am busy formulating my response or holding onto a thought while they talk.  I can re-engage in a different way - noticing the words they are using, the speed and tone of their voice, seeing if the animation in their eyes matches what is going on with their words, watching for the subtle shifts in expression.  Because unless they are trying to filibuster to block health care reform, the other party in my conversation is trying to tell me something important, and the message is more than just the words.


-Andrea

1 comment:

Sharon Lippincott said...

Profound observation. You may also find that actively listening with attention, awareness and appreciation will also sharpen your dialogue and description skills. And thanks for the link to Indexed. That graphic says it all!