Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Metaphorical Disasters

For it's not the light that is needed, but fire; it's not the gentle shower, but thunder.  We need the storm, the whirlwind and the earthquake in our hearts.  -Frederick Douglass 

I'm not sure where I found this quote - maybe in the pile of Franklin Covey daily calendar sheets I kept for a couple of years simply for the quotes.*   This was one of the keepers, and I wrote it down on a sticky note that followed me through a series of work transitions.  I initially found it appealing because some of those work transitions were particularly trying, and I was trying to convince myself that immersed into the thick of the mess was right where I wanted to be.  It didn't matter that I was starting to drown.  It was a challenge, and if there's one thing I know I'm a sucker for, it's the dare of a good challenge.  The fun part to noodle on is differentiating between when it has been a weakness rather than a strength.  I have an idea where the answer is for me, but I'm going to ponder it a bit more.

*Side note, the only useful part of the Franklin Covey system for me was the daily quotes.   My brain simply doesn't organize itself into hourly, daily and weekly buckets.  Apparently I am far too rebellious for (or far too bored by?) that kind of self-organization system.

-Andrea

No comments: